Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Spicing up my life (Part II)

My last batch of spices, briefly discussed in Part I, started in North Africa and wandered over to East Africa's horn. My next batch of spices is moving basically east to Southern India with a side trip to France and then following the trail through the Mediterranean.

Let's start in France. It's no secret that I love France - the food, wine and especially the cheeses. However, as a jazz musician one cannot help but to love the country that gave refuge to some of our national treasures - the musicians who invented the only true American art form - when they were being victimized at home because of the color of their skin. But I digress. The first spice blend is Quatre 'Épices. While the name means four spices this particular blend contains a bit more: Cumin, Brown Mustard, Fenugreek, Curry Leaf, Black Pepper, Turmeric, Nutmeg, Cardamom, Cayenne, Clove, Onion, Garlic, Himalayan Sea Salt. The traditional blend from France contains pepper, cloves, nutmeg and ginger. So, this is not truly authentic, but still has the general essence of French spices.


I intend to use this mix for soups and perhaps fish.

Next up - and still in the Mediterranean - is this Shepherd Herb Mix. The spices are interesting in that you can clearly see how some were borrowed from herbes de Provence blends, but with a Persian twist as well. Indeed, this is a true Mediterranean blend that is facing eastwards, so it's a perfect blend of herbs to use as a milestone on our culinary trek to Southern India. The spices and herbs are (Lemon Peel, Lavender Flowers, Spearmint, Basil, Sage, Rosemary, Fennel, Black Peppercorn, Parsley, Thyme, Marjoram, Oregano, Himalayan Salt, Onion and Garlic.


Again, this blend is perfect for soups, stews, seafood and - if you eat it - meat. Mixed with olive oil it is a perfect dipping sauce, and with a touch of vinegar would make a great dressing too.

Nest stop: Iran ... Persia ... and the home of one of my favorite world cuisines. This spice mix is called Adwiya, or more accurately, Advieh. Sprinkled over rice it greatly enhances the flavor, and it is perfect for stews. Looking at the ingredients you just know this has a lot of uses in other cuisines: Red & Pink Rose Petals, Sweet Cinnamon, Lemon Zest, Cumin, Coriander, Orange Zest, Nutmeg, Cardamom, Black Peppercorn and Himalayan Salt. I am going to use it lightly in this pumpkin soup recipe when I get around to making it.


While I am at it I want to share a source of Iranian saffron that I recently came across. This is of the highest quality and is vastly superior to the Spanish saffron you come across in supermarkets.

For some excellent information about how to properly use saffron, plus other useful information visit this web site.

We are new almost at the end of our journey: Afghanistan, which is nestled between Iran and Pakistan. This Afghan spice blend intrigues me. I have never tried it, but plan to have fun tweaking some of my Mediterranean recipes by substituting this for some of the spice blends I normally use. Ingredients are: Black Peppercorn, Cumin, Turmeric, Coriander Seed, Cardamom Seed, Green Cardamom, Sweet Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Nigella, Clove and Himalayan Salt.

This journey started in France and will end in India, but with a French influence. The blend is called Vadouvan, sometimes spelled Vaudouvan or Vadavan. It is a Southern Indian spice blend with a French influence from Pondicherry on the southeastern coast of India.


The ingredients are Cumin, Brown Mustard, Fenugreek, Curry Leaf, Black Pepper, Turmeric, Nutmeg, Cardamom, Cayenne, Clove, Organic Onion, Organic Garlic and Himalayan Salt. This blend is uncharacteristically mild for Southern India. I am new to this blend, but have been mining this web site for recipes and ideas.

I am sure I there will be a Part III to this series. Stay tuned. ,,

No comments: